Pages

3/12/2010

Books of 2010: Neuromancer

Another one for the list: "Neuromancer," by William Gibson, first published in 1984. I went to the used book store a couple days ago, and it was one I picked up.

Neuromancer was the first book to win the Phillip K. Dick, Hugo,and Nebula Awards. I thought it was pretty interesting, but I don't know if I thought it was that good. It was interesting to see how so many of the modern dystopias got their ideas from William Gibson. There were mega-corporations (Blue Sun, anyone?), a huge electronic information net, hackers, body-augmentation with cybernetics and genetics, AI's, and some mention of a nuclear war.

It was good to read a bit of scifi after my recent string of non-fiction; I always fly right through these types of books. This one was enjoyable, but I don't think I would have bought it new.

I'm trying to decide what to read next--it will probably be something light again.  Maybe a Steven Brust, or maybe Monster Hunter International again.

Oh, and I was counting them, and I think I'm up to 9.

No comments: