Pages

7/20/2010

The Romance is Gone, and with it the Dreams

ASM826 just had a post up about the space program, it's past and it's future.  It got me to thinking about where we are now in the science world.  Growing up in the '90's, I never got a sense of the magic of space--I don't ever think I even knew anyone who wanted to be an astronaut.  By the time I twelve, the shuttle had pretty much sucked the soul out of NASA. 

Now today I read an article about the opening of the Northwest Passage.  Leaving out the "climate change" portion of the article, it pointed out that while Russia has 20 something arctic icebreakers and so is able to move about the ice, the United States has only two.  While Russia plated a flag on the sea floor at the north pole, the United States doesn't even seem to care. 

Now, the United States is still the best country in the world when it comes to our relative freedoms, but at the rate we are sinking into debt and apathy, does it even matter?  How can a country that doesn't care about the future keep itself and it's citizens sovereign? How much longer before we turn into the society in Anthem?

I guess we'll just have to see what happens...

No comments: