Pages

7/16/2010

Super Mega Ultra Photo Post: Montana Vacation

Oh the sights I saw and the places I went to etc etc! Really it was good.

On Friday, I went on a hike up to a place called Goat Flats in the Pintlers.  It was a fun hike with some great views.



We saw some mountain sheep and goats running down those rocks on the right side of the picture towards the lake.

The evening after the hike was when the 72nd National Folk Festival started.  Here is a picture of the main stage:
It's an old head frame from the mines that they built a stage in and around.  Pretty slick.

...and a close up of the flag:

There was one of everything there.  We heard Delta Blues, Quebecois, Traditional Celtic, Salsa, Gospel, Zydeco, Traditional Norwegian, Tango...
 

...Tap Dancing--it was pretty crazy.  They had about 5 stages set up in various locations around Uptown Butte, so if you didn't like what was playing, you could move somewhere else.

Of course, you have to be careful while moving around or you could do this to your toe:

Dagnabit, I stubbed it on an old rusty (but suprisingly sharp!) signpost that had been cut off at about 3 inches.  And then I got a tetanus shot! Yay!

We also visited the Berkley Pit, Montana's deepest body of water:

Also the heart of the USA's largest Superfund Site.  It's full of sulfuric acid and heavy metals.  I was talking to a freind once and he said something like, "If Montana ever had an enema, Butte would be where they would do it," to which I replied, "Yeah, they've already got the big hole."  But with a name like Butte (i.e., Butt), the jokes pretty much write themselves.

We stayed at some freinds I have who live about 10 miles out of town on a ranch:

It is so green this year up there.  They have been getting a goodly amount of rain for once, which is good for the hay.

And being that we were out in the country, we were able to break out the guns:

One of my friends bought a .300 Remington Super Mag hunting rifle (it's behind the cardboard box), and boy does it kick.  And now I need to clean my pistol, which I guess is a good thing.

It was a good vacation.

No comments: