Pages

10/15/2010

I'm afraid I've fallen into a rabbit hole...

All because of that backgammon thing.

I found that there is an "Internet Backgammon" game that came on my computer.  I muddled through a couple games and won.

I read the backgammon page on Wikipedia and discovered:
  • The First Internet Backgammon Server started in 1992, and was the only internet backgammon server for five whole years!
  • Tunç Hamarat is a Turkish professional backgammon player living in Austria, whose exploits have earned him a place on Austria's postage stamps.  And, he is a Jazz DJ in Vienna!
  • Nard, the ancient Persian precursor to backgammon, and Senet, the ancient Egyptian precursor to backgammon, both go back many thousands of years!
  • Computer scientists, who apparently have nothing better to do, have extensively studied backgammon since the 1970's and had developed programs that could defeat world class players by 1979!
Wow!  With Wikipedia's help, I never have to lose trivial pursuit again! Thanks, Wikipedia!

    No comments: