Pages

6/09/2010

Books of 2010: Update

Since the last time I did this, I have read four more Brian Jacques books, a brewing book by Randy Mosher, and a John Ringo/Tom Kratman sci-fi.

They are: 
"Outcast of Redwall" 5/10
"Marlfox" 7/10
"The Legend of Luke" 9/10
"Tagerung" 10/10
"Radical Brewing" 43256/10
"The Tuloriad" 10/10 (Don't read unless you've read some of the other Posleen War books)

I think this brings my total for the year up to 21 books, not counting textbooks. 

The four Redwall books are as you would expect. 

I heartily recommend "Radical Brewing" for anyone who is interested in making their own beer. He really shows how you can do simple things to customize recipes and make "Radical" brews.

"The Tuloriad" was an interesting story about how one tribe of Posleen survive the Earth Invasion, and how the humans decide to convert them to Christianity.  It had some very interesting mind games in it (which is what makes the best science fiction) and an excellent afterword, in which the authors defend religion from atheism, in the context of the current struggle of western vs. middle eastern cultures and religions.  In short, they say: "Don't go to a gun fight without a gun, and don't go to a holy war without a religion."  Good stuff.

Maybe the next time I do this I can get to my books one at a time.

No comments: