Pages

9/27/2011

Math--no longer absolute

If you ever thought that, perhaps, 2+2 doesn't equal "4," but actually equals "the social injustice of poor inner-city students who would excel if only they had someone who would stop trying to teach them math but who would be supportive and believe in them," then Prof. Mondo brings news of an exciting new development in math education!  Really, explore that link, and then tell me what planet we're on now, where this is even an issue.  I shared it with a friend of mine, the one I play minecraft with and who built his own 3-D printer, and who I really think is the smartest person I know, and he said:
"My brain hurts now. Someone is using logic that I can't even parse because they're assuming to be false what I had taken to be axiomatic. I can't even figure out where they're wrong because the totality is so contradictory.

No, wait. Yes I can.

IT'S MATH. IT'S RIGHT OR WRONG. NONE OF THIS SUBJECTIVE CRAP."
Can I get an amen?