Pages

9/07/2010

Super Mega Ultra Photo Post: Glacier Weekend


I'm back! And I have the blisters to prove that I hiked 13 miles over the weekend...

But really, it was a great time. Beautiful scenery, great people, and, what with the car camping, delicious food.


We were at Many Glacier Campground, at the end of a windy 12-mile road.  The picture is of the camp store/motor inn/restaurant.

This was looking east-ish pretty much directly out of my tent.  Pretty nice view.

This one is looking south-ish at the same time.


Saturday we hiked up to Ptarmigan Tunnel.  The trail starts right at the campground, and goes up and up and up...
The tunnel is in the notch in the middle of the saddle there.  Here's a dumb joke for you:  What sound does a ptarmigan make when it goes to the bathroom?  Nothing, the "P" is silent!

Along side the lake and in the bowl there were about twenty mountain sheep.  Also seen were a couple mountain goats.

From the tunnel, looking back

The tunnel was built so the people on horseback wouldn't have to be lowered down on ropes on the other side, which drops straight down for 1000 ft.

This is the view from the other side of the tunnel.

And this is the picture that I took to freak out my mom.

Sunday, there was a break in the rain long enough to make a quick hike up to a waterfall.


And it started raining again when we got to the bottom. Perfect! Timing!

On the way home we drove through Augusta to go to Mel's Diner.  Their milkshakes came highly recommended, and were a good ending to the trip.

Now I'm home and catching up on my school work--taking the weekend off will put you behind like that.

Oh! And my Kindle came, so maybe I'll post something about that sometime.

Added:  I suppose that I ought to mention that bigger versions of my pictures (of Glacier and other things!) can be found here.

No comments: