Pages

7/16/2011

what to do with an abundance of kale

White bean and kale soup. I am informed that it is very Portuguese.


Two onions (one red onion from the garden, one white onion from the store). Three cloves of garlic. Fried the white onion and the garlic. Half of a (very large) carrot from the garden. Three (very large) sprigs of rosemary from my herb planter. Four+ cups of chicken broth. "Eight servings" of white beans, soaked and softened before hand. Quite a lot of kale from the garden.

Home made sourdough was toasted with cheese on top, and the soup was served over the top of it. More cheese was added.

Very simple, and very, very good.

5 comments:

Home on the Range said...

That looks delicious. If I'd not already made a large meal for a gal friend from work who was visiting I'd be starting that now.

bluesun said...

The lasagna bites? Those looked pretty darn good too.

Butch Cassidy said...

There are a couple of crotchety Portuguese sisters in town who make an addictive kale soup. A few years ago, they gave me the recipe as a gift.

Thanks to you, I now have to pick up some chorizo and make a batch. Too bad I could never master the making of Portuguese sweet bread or it could be a proper meal.

North said...

I make a kale soup with chicken broth, garlic, ground pork (cooked crumbled), black pepper, and a dash of cream. Freezes well.

bluesun said...

Must... buy... chorizo...