Pages

3/08/2010

My Fair Share of Funds to Pay for Services I Need

 
I just got a letter in the mail from...drumroll... the Department of Commerce!  It says, among other things, that the "Results from the 2010 Census will be used to help each community get its fair share of government funds for highways, schools, health facilities, and many other programs that you and your neighbors need."

Besides the fact that it's written so a fifth grader could understand it, I have a problem with the word choice here.  I can see many things here that I disagree with.  Like that they think I need all of these programs.  Like they think that all my neighbors think that they need all these programs.  Like the little redistribution thread I hear running through the word choice. 

While Robin Hood was a good guy, stealing from the rich and giving to the poor, what we have here is a situation where the Sheriff of Nottingham has killed the hero, taken everything from everyone, and now doles it out where ever he feels fit as a service to society.

We'll see how this all works out.

No comments: