Pages

4/30/2010

Books of 2010: Atlas Shrugged

I finished "Atlas Shrugged," by Ayn Rand on Wednesday, 10 days after I started it.  If you haven't read it, you should--not so much for Rand's philosophy (which, like all philosophies, has good and bad points about it), but for her vision of how the end of America comes. The story was very good, and very frightening.

I was talking to my roomate about it, and he said "So it's scary because you could see it happening?"
I replied, "NO.  It's scary because you can see it happening. It is happening."

The apathy of society.  The moral relativism.  The rising welfare state.  The blind handouts to other nations.  Taking from the producers to support the consumers, while asking nothing in return.  All of these things are happening today, and Atlas Shrugged shows what happens when these ideas are carried out to their (il)logical conclusion.

10/10, and you should read it, or read it again.

No comments: