Pages

5/18/2010

What the... HOW MANY NAKED TEENAGERS?!?!

How's that for a title? Sure to get a ton of google hits.

I was reading the newspaper, because it was there, and came across the Annie's Mailbox, you know, the "Advice Column." If you are prepared to wash out your eyes, mouth, ears and other body orifices, then read on. If not, then just keep scrolling down.

What I present next may astound and amaze you.

Dear Annie: My husband and I are in our mid-60s. For the past five years, we have been the guardians of my daughter's 13-year-old son, "Jake." When I married 12 years ago, I certainly didn't expect to be raising a teenager at my age.

I know that raising kids today is nothing like it was 30 years ago, but Jake seems well adjusted. He's a top student, an outstanding athlete and a fine young man with friends we approve of. Here's the problem:

Jake recently asked if he and his friends could sleep in the nude when they stay over. He has been teased about living with "the old folks" and claims we are the only ones who don't allow it. I checked with the other parents, and they confirm this. In fact, at "Jay's" house, the boys remain unclothed all day. Jay's mother says they are often naked while playing video games, watching TV or snacking in the kitchen. They frequently appear in the nude at breakfast if they are going skinny-dipping in the pool after. She sees no need for them to dress.

Annie, I'm not opposed to nudity. I have no problem with Jake sleeping naked in his room or skinny-dipping — even the coed kind. But somehow, the idea of six teenage boys running around the house naked all day bothers me.

Hubby assures me that it's a "guy thing" and all teenage boys do it. He remembers fondly how he swam naked at the YMCA through his college years at an all-male school. He says it builds character and is a significant male bonding experience. Indeed, he encourages it.

I don't have anyone to ask about this. Our best friends are our contemporaries and would be appalled if their grand kids ran around naked. Have you ever heard of this before? Is it common? How do other parents handle this? — Not Over the Hill

Are... are we in Ancient Greece? Did I... somehow miss the time warp? Should I get out my olive oil?

Seriously, if you were a grandma, and had 6 naked teenagers running around the house, how would you react?

Dear Not: In certain times and places (swimming pools, overnight camp), group nudity among young men is not unusual. Being naked all day, however, is much less common, and we would not encourage it.

Don't be badgered into agreeing to something that makes you uncomfortable. You do not have to allow it, nor do you need to apologize. It's your house, and you get to set the rules.

Damn straight.

...moving right along...

Update:  at 8:20:03 pm on May 16, the first hit from Google, "Nude Young Males."  That was actually a bit slower than I expected.  Internet, you have let me down.

No comments: