Pages

5/18/2010

Super Mega Ultra Camping Photo Post

Over the weekend, as a sendoff for summer, some friends and I went camping. We were initially going to go into the Crazy Mountains, but the little blue Subaru we were in only had 5 inches of ground clearance, and there were 7 inches of snow. Shoulda driven my Jeep. So we went south instead, to the Absarokas south of Big Timber. There was still too much snow up high for a good hike, but we made it as far as we could.

First:  Food.  One of the many things we ate were Hobos.  Basically, you put a bunch of meat and vegetables into a foil packet and cook it on the coals, like so:






I love car camping.  We went through $75 worth of groceries.  One of the other things we ate goes right along into the food category, as seen at Borepatch and here.  Bacon.  I think we ate a pound of bacon apiece.  With the grease, my friends (I claim no responsibility) decided to fry some carrots.





Carrot Bacon Explosion!  They claimed that the carrots tasted great.  I did not try them.  I value my life.  If you follow my freinds' examples, do not blame me for your hospital bills.

Next, there was the hike.  There were too many trees to see very many grand vistas and too much snow to get above the treeline, but I got some nice pictures of some bear tracks.  We followed them almost the whole way.  I figured they were probably from the late afternoon before.


That's my boot down in the corner.  This bear was about twice as big as the one Michael Bane's Wife saw here.  That one was a black bear (at least, to my knowledge, there are no Grizzlies in CO) and the track we saw were probably from a Grizzly Bear.  My room mate, bless his heart, brought along his Sig .380, which would probably be just enough to edge the bear from angry to really angry.  But we didn't see the bear, so all is well.
 
 
There's the two guys I went with.  I have pictures with me in them, but why would I give away my secret identity?  Maybe sometime.


This was from the drive out.  It was a good weekend.  Bye Montana! See you next semester.

2 comments:

doubletrouble said...

I did not know that tin-foil cooked food was called by any particular name- "Hobos", I like that.

When I used to travel "urban", we did the same thing but nestled the food in on the intake manifold of a V8- nice & cooked in about an hour.

We use to save bacon grease in old green bean cans for later use in "hobos" or for whatever. BTW- a can of green beans & some bread & butter make great sandwiches.

If you're hungry...

bluesun said...

You just reminded me of that episode of the Red Green Show where Red Green cooked the entire Thanksgiving dinner on the way to Grandma's house. Looks like something to go search Youtube for...