Pages

6/11/2010

The Rifleman's Song, or the Riflemen of Bennington

A way back when I went to PA for spring break, I got a CD called "Homespun Songs of the Patriots in the American Revolution." It has quite a few little songs performed on traditional instruments, and is somewhat enjoyable, though the sound quality can be a little bit crackly.  One of the songs I quite like; not only are the lyrics good, but I can actually play it on my penny whistle.
Why come ye hither, Redcoats,
Your minds what madness fills?
In our valleys there is danger,
And there's danger in our hills.
Oh hear ye not the ringing
Of the bugle wild and free?
Full soon you'll hear the singing
Of the rifle from the tree.

cho: For the rifle, for the rifle.
     In our hands will prove no trifle.

Ye ride a goodly steed,
Ye may serve a foreign master;
Ye forward come with speed,
But ye'll learn to back much faster,
When ye meet our mountain boys
And their leader,  Johnny Stark,
Lads who make but little noise,
Lads who always hit the  mark!

Have ye no graves at home
Across the briny water,
That hither ye must come
Like bullocks to the slaughter?
If we the work must do,
Why the sooner 'tis begun,
If flint and trigger hold but true,
The quicker 'twill be done!
Over at NancyR's place she is asking for some good patriotic songs, and this was one that I like.  I've been meaning to put the lyrics down here ever since I got the CD, and she finally made me do it.

2 comments:

Nancy R. said...

First, thanks for the link!

Second, believe it or not, I've actually got that disc in my desk at work. *grin*

bluesun said...

I believe. Your blog has been a daily read of mine since you started.