Pages

8/06/2010

Questions on Personal Growth

I don’t know why I am the way I am. I came out of the same school system as is commonly criticized around the blogs I read, which of course makes me slightly defensive. Growing up was Public School, working parents, etc etc. What was it that makes me distrustful of the gov’t, disdainful of pop culture, and receptive to things that are mostly relegated to people much older than I? Is it the books that my parents read to me as a child? Is it just that I was read to? Maybe it is because I watched PBS so much more than the networks--say what you will about PBS, but watching Bill Nye the Science Guy, Wishbone, Antiques Roadshow, and NOVA instead of whatever the dumb cartoon or sitcom of the season was over on the WB has to make a difference. Was it my crazy scoutmaster? Was it my “accelerated” middle school curriculum (or as we called it, the “School for the Tifted and Gallented”)? Was it my high school physics teacher, a retired Air Force “Nuclear Terrorist,” who wasn’t afraid to tell it like it is? My religion? My church? My friends?

I hate to think that I am “special” simply because I am trying to pay attention to world events, but look at the evidence.

Anyway, sorry if this is self-centered. It was something that I thought about today at work while mindlessly washing dirt.

1 comment:

Nancy R. said...

Let me venture a guess to at least part of it.

Your parents were your *parents* and didn’t worry about being your BFF. They taught you the values of your culture (education, being responsible for yourself, etc.) set a decent example for you to follow, and then got out of your way.

You don’t see that much anymore.