Pages

2/19/2010

Books of 2010: Colonial Living

My epic quest to keep track of what I read continues... I'm up to 4 books.  Clearly, I have a dizzying intellect, but just wait till I get going!

I was reading a different book, which I haven't finished yet, but I had to take a break and read something more personable.  Thus, I give you the next book of 2010:

"Colonial Living," by Edwin Tunis



This book, first published in 1957, was very enjoyable.  As the back cover says, the book has "...lively text and detailed drawings...."  The lively text comes across in phrases such as "Spelling continued to be largely an original art, even among well-educated people," and the detailed drawings are all pen-and-ink drawings that show the people, devices, and buildings of the time.  While some of the history is dated (heh.), and it has a definite pro-America tilt that whitewashes some important details about the British, the slaves, and the natives, it was still quite good.  I always like to read history books that are "out of date" compared to the P.C.rap that you get from modern sources, and this one fits the bill admirably.

Highly Recommended.

1 comment:

Stephen said...

I like old World Atlas' and Enclyclopedias just to see how quickly things change. Just the names of the countries on the African continent in the last 30 to 40 years. Amazing.