Pages

11/05/2010

Music for Friday Evening: The Man's Too Strong

Don't know why, but I've been listening to a lot of Dire Straits today:



I am just an aging drummer boy, and in the wars I used to play
And I've called the tune to many a torture session
Now they say I am a war criminal and I'm fading away
Father, please hear my confession

I have legalized robbery, called it belief
I have run with the money, I have hid like a thief
Re-written history with armies and my crooks
Invented memories, I did burn all the books

And I can still hear his laughter
And I can still hear his song
The man's too big
The man's too strong

Well I tried to be meek, I have tried to be mild
But I spat like a woman and sulked like a child
I have lived behind walls that have made me alone
Striven for peace which I have never known

Well the sun rose on the courtyard and they all did hear him say
"You always was a Judas, but I got you anyway
You may have got your silver but I swear upon my life
Your sister gave me diamonds and I gave 'em to your wife"

Oh father please help me
For I have done wrong
The man's too big
The man's too strong

And I am now accepting interpretations as to how these lyrics fit into the current political landscape.

2 comments:

doubletrouble said...

Well, first there were dinosaurs, then they roared their defiance.
Then there was a guy who got all politicky & went presidenty.
Then, he & his crew started sucking badly, & everyone yelled at them & sent them home.
Except for the first guy, who ran away to India & rode elephants.

The End.

bluesun said...

Hmmm... that's pretty good... "E" for effort.