Pages

1/26/2011

Dangerous Words

Right as my mother left this morning, she said "Do Something with this roast!"

So here's what I did.

First, I saw that we still had some rosemary that was left from my herb pot last summer. Chopped it up (I love the new sharp knives my mother recently bought!) and soaked it in some gin and angostura bitters. Cut deep channels in the roast (love those knives, again!) and filled them up with garlic from Penzeys Spices. Chopped/peeled half an onion, two potatoes, two sweet potatoes, and some carrots (sharp knives--try some, won't you?). Put the veggies in the crockpot, put the roast on the veggies, put the rosemary concoction on the roast. Salt and pepper over everything. Cook on high for a couple hours, then turn it down to low and let it go all afternoon.


Now I might make some gravy out of the juices, even though there isn't really anything to put it on.  I just like gravy, I guess.  Time to get the OMNOMOM on!

Added:  Wow.  That gravy was amazing.  Sweet and tangy and savory.  Not to mention that the roast was great, and the veggies were delicious.   Write this one down, folks; it's a keeper!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nothing to put gravy on? Put it on your meat and veggies...my mouth is watering just thinking of it. We do crock pot roasts during the winter, it's so nice to come home to a ready to serve meal and the aroma is a bonus!
I love Penzeys and sharp knives also!

Anonymous said...

Forgot to mention...try a corned beef in the crock pot sometime! I throw in a half head of cabbage and cover it with water. It's our favorite.

bluesun said...

Yeah, my mom walked in and I hear "Mmmmmmmmmmm..." Smelled great. Crock pot cooking is how I got through college, for sure. Sometime I'm going to put up my split pea soup recipe--that is probably my favorite meal. Make it thick enough to spread on toast...

Butch Cassidy said...

Gin - Nectar of the gods.

Bitters - Make everything better.

Roast Beast - My arteries hate it, but I love it.

The three together have me drooling. And you definately need more pea soup on this here site, almost more like mashed peas than soup, I hope.

Linoge said...

Crockpots might just be one of the greatest human inventions ever. That is all.

Anonymous said...

We really should meet sometime...we make split pea soup all the time in our good old crock! We too like it thick.
Last winter I decided to make a quick batch in my pressure cooker, have done it many times and never an issue. Well...I blew the gasket on that bad boy and sent pea soup up and all over the ceiling in my kitchen! It was quite an artistic accomplishment but a bitxx to clean up. I still need to fix the pressure cooker, I miss cooking beans in it.
I have a killer black bean soup that is super easy and makes for good crockery as well.

bluesun said...

If I'm ever going through Missouri, I'll be sure to look you up!