Pages

1/31/2011

Hicken Bleg: The Conclusion

Here's what I did:

Took the mushrooms, as per Butch Cassidy's instructions from my last post, and sauteed them in some butter with some chopped onion, about equal parts.  After they got soft and brown, I added another about equal part chopped leftover chicken, and a bit of chicken broth.  Simmered it for a while (maybe 7 minutes, probably too long) and then added some red wine that was handy in the fridge (yeah, I know, white goes with chicken... I'm not a snob, give me a break).  Simmered it a few more minutes and put it in a bowl to serve.  It was very good, and was very good with the other dishes served.

Other dishes:

I peeled, chopped, and boiled two russet potatoes and two sweet potatoes.  Added some butter and cream, some salt and pepper, and some garlic, then blended it with a hand mixer until it was fairly creamy, but still with a few little chunks.  Served in a nice orange bowl, which complemented the orange shade of the dish, in my opinion. This, my friends is the way that all mashed potatoes should be served.  It should be the signature side at some restaurant.  The sweet taters add a little bit of color and sweetness (duh), but not enough to be distracting.  Seriously, try it sometime.

Also, I made some asparagus.  This, I chopped off the stringy ends, and put on a cookie sheet that had melted butter on it.  I laid the asparagus out so it was in a single layer, lightly coated in the butter, and sprinkled some sea salt on it.  I baked it in an oven at 475 degrees Fahrenheit, for about 10 minutes (be sure to keep an eye on it, though, and take it out when it is done to your likeness.). This, also, was very good.  I ate more asparagus than anything else, I think...

With the meal we had a nice Riesling from a local vineyard, because as it was already a pretty fancy meal we had to turn it up to 11.  My mom said she felt like the husband out of one of those 50's homemaker magazines, that always tell the wives to have a drink and a meal ready for the husband when he gets home from work, since she walked in about the time the meal was ready.  I think that's a complement...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a lucky Mom! Sounds delicious. I made a pot of chili, it goes well with freezing rain and snow!

Butch Cassidy said...

1. I personally like red wine sauces on potato better than white, even with chicken.

2. Roast asparagus is one of my favorite vegetables. My grandmother-in-law does similar to you only with olive oil and italian herbs.

3. Try making neeps 'n tatties sometime: Equal parts potato and rutebega mashed together.