Pages

2/24/2012

.22 Bleg

So I am trying to decide what I want to save my pennies for--or use the tax return for, more likely, as a BAG-day gun. I know I want it to be a .22, but I can't decide. So here's the

What I want most is tied between a Ruger Single 6 or a lever action .22 of some sort (probably a Henry since I've wanted one of those since before I even had any guns!).  It's kind of funny to me that all the guns I really wanted before I started into this hobby were the old style single and lever actions, but when I actually got going everything I bought turned out to be more of the blacktical stuff... but I digress.

However, what I really ought to get, if anything, is more of a pocket .22, because lugging the Buckmark around to dispatch varmints in the trap is more difficult (and conspicuous) than I would like. On that front I would probably want either one of the new LCR 22's, but then I have an absurd desire to have one of those Taurus PLY's (ugly as sin, but who ever said wants were rational?). However, you all know Taurus' hit or miss reputation, and I know Butch, you really like that Beretta 21 Bobcat (I think it is) that the Taurus is modeled on. But then, looking around on the gun forums (for whatever that's worth, probably just as much as you paid for it), it appears that the newly made Beretta's don't really have a much better reputation than Taurus. (So, Butch, I was wondering what year the one your wife has was made--newer and the forums are blowing smoke like usual, or an older one with presumably "better craftsmanship"?) Now, all that being said, the smart choice would probably be to look for a S&W J frame type .22, since, well, I actually have a J Frame, and I could get some crossover use in terms of training.  But then again, what kind a features do you need on a double action revolver?  The manual of arms is pretty much identical across the board...

And then, all of THAT being said, the really smart choice would probably be to just spend the equivalent amount on 9mm and .308 ammo...

Anyways, that's what's on my mind, and I'd welcome hearing whats on yours.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

My wife's 21A is newer-ish made in the 2000's. With Aguila sub-sonics and CCI Mini-Mags it has worked great unless bonre-dry , dirty, and linty.

That said, as a matter of practicality, I would push the J-frame. While it will be more expensive than the Beretta, it does mesh with your carry gun. A little auto designed for cocked & locked carry doesn't really have much in common with a little revolver.

Practicality aside, I'll push the Beretta. I've heard good-ish things about the Taurus PT22, but it is DAO (while still having a safety) and larger than a Bobcat while being comparable in price. I've also never really been a fan of a DA trigger pull when dispatching beasties. Full disclosure that I am a Beretta fanboy.

bluesun said...

But, like I said, I'll probably wind up with a single 6 or a lever action...

Anonymous said...

And you will have chosen wisely. The Henry lever-actions are a hoot and a half. Future me with money to burn on a tax stamp will buy one of their mare's-legs and register it as an SBR.

Weer'd Beard said...

Yeah I love my 21A, I find that if I use slide grease on the rails and barrel it runs damn well.

I'll probably also buy the LCR22 just because the price is right and they're neat little J-frame-like guns.

bluesun said...

I wonder if there is anywhere that makes steel frames that you could put the LCR on to, rather than the polymer?

Weer'd Beard said...

Why would you want one?

.22 LR even in a 13oz frame is a total kitten, and it'll ride in your pocket better!

KurtP said...

OR you could see what the local dealers of death have in their used racks and see if anything hits your fancy.
A used one might save enough to get two fancies.

bluesun said...

Weer'd, because with a .22 I want a multi-generational gun, and I'm not yet convinced that the polymer is going to still be going strong in 100 years like steel would.

Kurt, I think that would probably be the best place to start...

assuming I can convince my mother not to disown me if I come home with another gun.

KurtP said...

Just tell her it followed you home.
Lookit that cute little safety switch.....

Awwww.