Pages

2/16/2012

Did this just happen to anyone else?

My fancy smartypants phone just gave me the notification (three times, no less) that there was a test of some sort of Emergency Alert System.  Digging into the settings it appears that there are four levels that it does, from AMBER Alert to Presidential Alert, and "Do you want to receive alerts in the future?"  Do I want to be able to listen to communications from my dear old Uncle Sam in the future?  I pressed no; it's freaky enough that there's a built in GPS, I don't think I could handle getting information from them to go along with whatever they're getting from me

Communication is a two way street, sure... but what if I just want to be left alone? Despite having this droid for over a year, I'm still not sold on the whole thing.

5 comments:

Ruth said...

First thing I did apon getting my new smart phone home was start figuring how much of my smart phone I could disable and still have it work as a phone.....I love my smart phone, but yah, I occasionally cringe at what it could potentially do to my privacy.

bluesun said...

Me too, but this is one that has never happened before, and I don't know where the settings for it are...

Ruth said...

On my Droid2 (global) its not actually in "settings" its a seperate application called 'Emergency Alerts" and the icon looks like a white box with a red cross. Clickthe app, click the menu button, click settings. Check both the alert 'type' (called 'receive alerts' on mine) AND the 'alert reminder' which contols the frequency of the alert (mine's set to 'off').

Hope that helps.....

bluesun said...

...and it won't let me turn off presidential alerts. Oh well, all the others are off now, at least. Thanks.

Ruth said...

Mine either. And welcome!

Also my local news just had a blurb on this. If you're on Verizon, they were testing this apparently and it wasn't actually supposed to go out to customers. Couldn't find a news article to link to.