Pages

3/05/2011

Hunter's Ed: Day One

Morning: Mostly firearms--parts, ammunition, and safety. They have several sets of rules, but focus most on a few that are Col. Cooper-ish. It is still a bit confusing with the different sets. Not sure which ones are going to be on the test tomorrow.

Afternoon: Archery, animal vital zones, first aid and survival things.

The people: I have been mostly impressed with the children in the room. Out of about 45 students, I would guess that 75% are in the 8-13 age group. The Fish and Wildlife game wardens teaching the class are doing a pretty good job at keeping it entertaining/interactive enough to keep the kids' interest, but still informative. A couple of short videos from the 70's and a couple from the early 90's have been entertaining, for the style of the people at the very least. There is another whole classroom with 35 other students in another building, for a total class size of ~80 students; the wardens say that this is the biggest class they have ever taught at once. Good.

Miscellanea: on one side of me is a very cynical lady who works at Cabela's, and on the other side is a little girl who just can not keep her hand down, and has to answer every question. They are both keeping my experience here "interesting."

Tomorrow: more class in the morning, followed by a 50 question multiple choice test, followed by a range test, using a "bolt action single shot 22 rifle." Any problems are currently unanticipated.

3 comments:

North said...

I did the class with my son. Two weeks, 8 evening classes 3 hours each.

I didn't 'need' it, but it was a good thing to get under my belt.


WV: heeshi Just not going there.

bluesun said...

I'm glad that I'm doing the weekend version. That many evenings would be rough.

North said...

Yeah I skipped an evening. But I have the special card to carry that says I took the class.

Just good to cross all of the tees, dot all of the eyes. :-) Bullseyes, that is.