Pages

3/12/2011

New things

In and amidst all the extra-ordinary new things that are going on in the world right now, today I did something I've never done before:  lawnmower maintenance.  Till I left for college my dad always did it, and after he died I was always gone till the end of May or beginning of April and my mom would have to find someone to do it.  This year, she found me.  So, a trip to Sears, buy new spark plugs, new filters, back home, drain the oil, sharpen the blade, put it all back together again, start it up, immediately  hit a rock, turn it off, take it apart again, resharpen the blade...

...vow to never run it somewhere near gravel...

Oh, and while I was out there a Starship flew over.  I'm not joking.  One of the few remaining Beechcraft Starships is registered in Colorado:


They're about the coolest private plane out there.  We only see it every other year or so.  You could almost consider it a "new thing" since it's so weird looking.  I love living in the landing zone of the airport!

2 comments:

Linoge said...

*sigh* Do not remind me. That is on tomorrow's agenda...

Butch Cassidy said...

Last winter, I changed the oil, replaced the pins to the auger, and scrubbed any rust off of my very nice inherited snowblower.

That night, the engine exploded, leavine a hole the size of my open hand in the engine.