Pages

3/06/2011

Hunter's Ed: Day Two

Morning: Covered hunting rules and regulations. Covered animal types, and seasons for them. Watched a great video on how to field dress and skin an elk. Lots of great noises from the audience on that one, the little boys especially. Funnily enough, it was shown right before lunch. [Added: the guy in the video used a little leatherman knife to do the whole animal, which was pretty impressive.]

Afternoon: 15 minutes of review, then a 50 question multiple choice test. I got 100%. Went next door to the Department of Wildlife's indoor range. Shot a bolt action single shot 22 five times--didn't have to be accurate, but did have to demonstrate safe gun handling skills.

Remarks: luckily I finished the test quick enough that I was in the first group who got to shoot, and I got my orange Hunter's Education card much sooner than the 5:00pm that I had anticipated. All in all it was a very worthwhile experience, and I really believe that some sort of class like this should be a mandatory thing, as much as that grates against my libertarian soul.

No comments: