Pages

12/08/2010

bluesun's Bugeye Stout

I have a friend who was trying to replicate the stout I made two summers ago.  Since I was typing it up anyway, I decided, "hey, why not share it with the whole interwebs!"  So, without further ado, I present to the world my stout recipe:


Dark Caramel

2 ½ cups “Fair Trade Raw Cane Sugar”
~2 tablespoons blackstrap molasses
½ cup water
Cook on low until almost burnt.

Bugeye Stout

Dark Caramel, from above
5.5 lb Light Liquid Malt Extract
0.5 lb 90L Crystal Malt
0.5 lb Roasted Barley
1.0 lb Dehusked Black Malt
1 oz. Fuggle hops (4.8% AA)
1 oz. East Kent Goldings (4.5%)

Minutes Left
75
60
45
30
15
Last Minutes
Fuggles
1/3 oz
1/3 oz
1/3 oz



East Kent Goldings



1/3 oz
1/3 oz
1/3 oz

Yeast:  White Labs british Ale Yeast WLP005

Primary Fermented ~4 weeks, bottled with very little sugar for light carbonation

2 comments:

Butch Cassidy said...

Please don't do this. I am already on gallon two of wild yeast mead and don't need yet another hobby. What with the carboys, air locks, bottles, and whatnot about to be ordered now that I know my mead comes out fairly well.

If you had posted a good recipe for oatmeal stout, I would have been powerless to resist.

bluesun said...

If you already make mead, you are mostly there already! I think beer is even simpler than that! Come on, won't you join me?