Pages

2/14/2011

Grandpa's house

It was nice to get out and about yesterday--getting sick of all this lollygagging that I've been doing.

Treasure Island, the hill with all the old equipment.

 The dark holes are the recent shooting, the light ones are aged from last summer some time. That's a piece of old particle board siding.

And got a little bit of shooting in.  My mom even participated, which is a first. My dad got her a K frame .22 revolver before he died, but never got a chance to shoot it.  She wanted to know how to use it.  I think between me and my grandpa we did a pretty good job; she was knocking the can around by the end.

Grandpa was in the army right after WWII--he was a medic, and wasn't issued a weapon.  He still had to qualify, though, and told me that when he took the test he only got one clip for his Garand.  He shot through it but still had more of the course to do, so one of the instructors tossed him an extra he had in his pocket and told him to finish it off.  Grandpa was part of of the occupational forces in Germany in 1946.  Nothing exciting ever happened too him--he just got to go around to all the little towns and sample the local brews!

That's the news from Lake Wobegon...

2 comments:

Butch Cassidy said...

Any pictures of the 22?

Sheesh, mention an old K frame (a 22 to boot) and don't even toss us a lowly cell phone picture...

Also, your grandfather sounds like a cool guy.

bluesun said...

1) I'll see what I can do about a picture...

2) I completely agree with your assessment of my grandpa.