Pages

2/05/2011

I forget sometimes

I had to run to the feed store to pick up chicken feed, which is always fun for me. I don't feel like the type of person who would go to the feed store, but my family has had chickens and such for as long as I can really remember. We live on "The Farm," about 4 acres on the edge of town (literally the edge, the only thing north of us is the interstate and desert). I have probably had a more rural upbringing than 90% of modern Americans.

And then, in the news this morning, I read about a family in Tulsa, OK (which apparently got 10" of snow yesterday) who are practically starving because the only food they had in the house was some granola bars, and they can't get out their driveway to go to McDonald's. Is that the other 90%?

What's more normal, these days? A family that has been providing it's own food for so long that it's second nature, or a family that has been eating out so much that they starve when there's a foot of snow? I fear it's the later...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the latter is very common...it's also why Americans are fat. If they don't eat out they consider cooking to be nothing more than heating prepared foods. If everyone went back to basics they would see their grocery bills and waistlines drop.

Butch Cassidy said...

And here I am thinking that it is perfectly normal to worry that I'll run out of acorn flour before spring...

People used to make fun of my extensive "pantry" but most have now come around and started to pre-stock a bit themselves.

doubletrouble said...

I think you're right.
If "essential services" were to suddenly become unavailable, I'm guessing that the 90% would be in a world of hurt.

I'm only comfortable when the Mrs. & I can shut the door & be just fine for at least a couple months.

bluesun said...

mupedalpusher:

I was going to talk about that too, and indeed talked about it with my mom when I read the article, as she had just been to a meeting (she's a school nurse) talking about how the nurses need to encourage good eating habits. Kinda ticked her off--"What about the parents?!?!"

Butch:

Some of my friends made fun of my cabinet full of beans--but then they went and bought a big storage rick specifically made to hold canned goods. Then I got to make fun of them!

doubletrouble:

We have two forms of heating in our house (gas furnace and pellet stove) but both rely on electricity. That makes me a little nervous. Someday I'm getting a woodstove...