Pages

3/01/2011

The future...

Here's your pessimistic prediction of the day, direct from my friend the history major.

  • None of our so called "leaders" can figure out how to balance a budget.
  • Within the next few years the US goes bankrupt and gets bailed out by China, because if we go down we're taking them with us.
  • China only gives us the money if we cut back spending A LOT--no more military, and austerity measures that make Greece look like fun and games.

I tried to get him to make a prediction beyond that, but he wouldn't give me any.  But with forced cuts in spending (read: more unhappy unions) and forced tax raises (read: more unhappy tea partiers), I challenge you to draw your own conclusions.


And while I don't particularly like his prediction, I could certainly see it happening.  I would rather we do self-imposed austerity measures, without the military cuts, while we still can.  But I'm also thinking that thinking that is a lost cause.

2 comments:

Scott McCray said...

Yup...it's gonna get a whole bunch uglier before it gets better.

As Pearls says, "Pray – Praise – Prepare"

Linoge said...

The short answer: we are screwed.

The longer answer: we were going to be screwed for longer than we both have been alive.

The real kicker: there is not a damned thing we can do.

Not because there actually is nothing we can do, but rather because we would be actively stymied by people who are profiting from the status quo... with no regard for the future.