Pages

6/19/2011

Happy Manufactured Holliday!

Ahem. I was going to post something about how I don't like Father's Day, and then I thought that I would take the moral high ground and just say something nice, and then I decided that I really don't care, and so I'm going to do a short rant. You've been warned.

I don't like Father's Day. Never have, not even when my dad was still alive. It just smacks too much of "liberal guilty conscience" for me. If you are going to appreciate your father, howabout you do it when you don't have social pressures trying to make you buy a card?  Take him to a local brewpub, or send him some money for a new ratchet set, or something. 

4 comments:

Butch Cassidy said...

Agreed, and I say this as a father of two. Just one minor quibble: Bugger the Brewpub, I want whisky.

bluesun said...

I would think that your kids are a bit too young to be buying whisky...

Oh, and by the way, I see that my Firefox spellcheck doesn't believe in whisky, but wants to spell it the US way, with an "e." I take it since you're far up north you're a Canadian spirit type?

Butch Cassidy said...

Truth be told, a bearded old-time Mainer of French-Canadian descent has given me a taste for Canadian whisky with ginger ale in a lowball glass over ice. I like the occasional bourbon (neat or in a cocktail), but scotch and Canadian whisky get the bulk of my attention.

Between Canada and the local Scots population, I never stood a chance.

LSP said...

Brew pub? Good call.