Pages

6/24/2011

Another Day, Another Set of Grips...

I recently purchased a set of "Hideout Grips" off of Brownels, basically because they were cheap and didn't have finger grooves.

The fit and finish as they came was, quite frankly, atrocious. They almost seemed to have been built with a different sized and shaped gun in mind. But, there was too much material instead of too little, and as the material is only a polyester plastic, some sand paper and a Vicious Circle later, they got to be NEW AND IMPROVED! and CUSTOM FIT! or whatever.

Since I find most grip manufacturers have terrible, terrible websites that don't show you nearly enough angles and information on whatever you are conceivably plunking your hard earned cash on, so here are some pictures of these grips as they are now, after a couple hours of elbow grease:


I'm still pretty sure that I haven't found the perfect grips for my S&W 642, and I'm not even sure that I like them better than the stock rubber grips but I was able to get 50 rounds of 158 gr ammo on the target (a 4" radius circle) at 20 yards with no more discomfort than when using the rubber grips, which was surprising to me. Hold on for dear life and blast away!

In other news, I'm still taking suggestions for grip ideas (and now that I have a *temporary* job, I might even be able to spend money on them! Yay!).

Oh yeah, and [three letter government agency whose name I can never remember] disclaimer: You may have noticed the word "PURCHASED" that I used in the first sentence? Ok, now shut up.

4 comments:

Guffaw in AZ said...

very utilitarian stocks...

bluesun said...

Duh'o! Sorry Guffaw, I forgot about the stocks vs grips thing.

I wouldn't be opposed to something like the VZ Grips (which look really cool, but then there's the finger groove problem again), or some nice wooden ones, but it is hard for me to part with money on something that I've never even held in my hand.

doubletrouble said...

Nice work there BS.

(Unfortunate handle abbreviation, there)

I bought grips from Altamont for my P238, & they fit perfectly (& yes, I was surprised).

I didn't offer them up in your first post, because I checked, & they didn't have anything but "finger" grips for your piece. But mebbbe if you talked to them...

Best,
DT

bluesun said...

Heh, I figured it was only a matter of time before someone abbreviated it...

I may try contacting some places to see if they could take a break off of their finger groove obsession.