Pages

1/09/2012

Books of 2012: Art of the Rifle

Well, since I got my rifle, I decided that some more usage information would be nice to go with it. So I picked up Col. Cooper's "The Art of the Rifle," which is widely recommended as the top resource for rifle shooting. It is short, yet full of information on all aspects of the subject--techniques, philosophy, and stories. In Cooper's own words, most of the book can be summed up with these two points:

1. If you can get closer, get closer.
2. If you can get steadier, get steadier.

As my new year's resolutions mostly involve finding the equipment and locations to wring out my rifle at longer and longer ranges, I fully expect to be paging through this book for the rest of the year, and the years to come. But I started 2012 off right.

I rate the book a good 8/10--it could have had a little bit more in-depth information, and it focused nearly exclusively on bolt action rifles.

4 comments:

Weer'd Beard said...

I lift weights in my home library, and during a rest set I saw my copy.

An amazing book. I balked at how thin it was and just assumed it couldn't be much of a read, but Cooper was such a genius he packed thousands of pages of useful tips and knowledge into that little book!'

I need to practice my prone.

bluesun said...

After reading it I realized that we, as gunnies, focus too much on our pistols when we really should focus more on the rifles. I need to practice s lot more...

A rifle does not a rifleman make.

KurtP said...

"When you have to shoot- shoot, don't talk."
Tuco.

bluesun said...

That should probably be rule 3, there.

You know, it's hard for me to decide which one of those three guys I like the most. Hard to say which one is really the good, the bad, and the ugly, at times.