Pages

1/19/2012

Buycott


In support Borepatch's "I am TJIC buycott" (or is it Jay's?), I present to you my latest excursion into beefing up my ORC:


I've been looking for a scope for some time now, so the buycott was really just a good excuse to pick one up. This is a Vortex Diamondback 4-12x40. Seemed to hit my quality/price ratio in the right place (and it was the same price as the 3-9x40, so >>shrug<<), and it's the one that my old roommate in MT put on his 300 RUM (hmmmm... it's hiding in the back of the last picture of this post), so I figure it ought to hold up to my measly little 308. The proof, as they say, is in the pudding, but before I can prove it I must mount it on my rifle...

6 comments:

Butch Cassidy said...

What are you going to run for mounts?

And the obligatory devil on your shoulder: Put a can on it next!

bluesun said...

I picked up a Burris PEPR mount on midway a couple weeks ago in anticipation. Just mocking it up here it looks really nice, but I need to get it all straightened out and zeroed in. Oh darn, I guess it's time to find some range time, again.

The can is definitely on the list, and the list is getting shorter...

Butch Cassidy said...

Do you plan to use the rails on the PEPR's rings, or just like the mount?

Speaking of rails: Do you plan to pick up a weapon-light? If you do, allow me to recommend a TLR-1. It will give you the most versatile mounting options and hits the sweet spot on the cost-quality curve. It is also a pretty compact unit.

I'm actually putting a few dollars aside to pick up another one and a railed Nordic mag clamp to mount to my 590.

bluesun said...

The PEPR also comes with smooth rings, so those are what I am going to go with, I think. As for the light, I don't see myself using this as a home defense gun, so probably not. 308 seems like the collateral damage might be a bit more than I want to deal with...

Butch Cassidy said...

I'm in the Dave Spaulding camp when it comes to lights indoors:

Flip the switch, your house lights are better than any flashlight.

I am a fan of lights on outdoor guns, however. After about the third time I had to put down a feral beastie while juggling flashlight and gun, I decided that weapon lights are good in the outdoors.

If you don't need one, then great. Between the rail segment for your MOE and the light itself, there is enough cash to buy a few hundred rounds of 7.62.

bluesun said...

That's a good point. I'm just not a hunter (yet, maybe), so it didn't even occur to me.